A lot of people want to redecorate or update their bathroom but fear prevents it. It’ll be too expensive. I don’t have the time. I’ll wait till I have a bit more money – STOP! It doesn’t have to be this way!
Use these ten simple tips to bring your tired bathroom back to life.
1. Paint your walls. Even if you like your existing colour but it’s been on the walls for years, a fresh coat will perk up the place and a new colour will make a huge difference. Just make sure you choose a paint that’s suitable for bathrooms.
2. Lay a new floor. Gone are the days when you could only choose between carpet or tile. There are so many flooring options now available – vinyl flooring for example is no longer tacky and cheap looking and is pretty economical. Whilst you’re working on your floor you could install some underfloor heating for an added bit of luxury.
3. Dress your window. If you’re staring at a bare window give it a treat. Bring in some colour and texture with a bathroom-proof roller or Venetian blind that compliments the rest of the room. If you already have a blind and want a change, you could try some shutters – they never fail to spruce up a room.
4. Upgrade your mirror. If you don’t have a mirror in your bathroom – get one asap! Changing a mirror is one of the simplest things you can do and can make an incredible difference. Whether you go for a big elaborate statement of a mirror or a collection of small ones, a mirror will bounce more light around and brighten up your room.
5. Keep it tidy! If this sounds simple it’s because it is! As one of the busiest rooms in the house, bathrooms can easily get messy and cluttered. Old bottles, half empty containers, old sponges, battered toothbrushes – you see where I’m going with this? Have a clear out and then stay on top of it.
6. Decant. Everyone in the house has different shampoos, conditioners, their own collection of ‘stuff’, discarded or unused products. Buying a set of containers and bottles in uniform colours (or colours that match your scheme) will finish off your bathroom perfectly.
7. Coordinate. Buying matching pieces for your soap dispenser, soap dish, toothbrushes etc will give your bathroom that ‘pulled together’ look that always looks good.
8. Change your taps. If you have a white suite, updating your taps will give you an instant lift. Obviously they will need to be installed by someone who knows what they’re doing, but a swanky new mixer tap on your basin and matching taps for you bath will breathe new life into your old suite. If you have a shower – give it the same treatment.
9. Check your lighting. Do you have one naked bulb that is meant to cater to all your ‘bathroom needs’? Check the wattage – is it bright enough? What kind of light is it giving off – a warm yellowish light or a cool blueish one? (Low energy daylight bulbs give off a natural light that’s perfect for pain free, accurate shaving and make-up application). If you go the route of installing new lighting make sure to get a qualified electrician who can talk you through the zones of a bathroom and sort you out with appropriate items.
10. Find furniture. Tired of looking at all your bathroom paraphernalia, get somewhere to put it all. Even if you have a small bathroom, if you look hard enough you’ll find a cabinet, tall boy or vanity unit to take care of the bits and pieces you don’t want to keep looking at.